www.discoverychannelasia.com, www.tlcasia.com (the "Discovery Sites"). This policy does not however apply to Discovery's US sites and we recommend that you review the privacy policies and terms and conditions on any such US sites that you visit.
Personal information means any information from which you can be identified (such as your name, address or email address).
We may collect and use personal information about you through your use of the Discovery Sites. In general, we will use this information for administration of the Discovery Sites and any services provided on them (such as competitions), to identify personal preferences and to match your needs with relevant products and services. Information provided when you register is used to enable you to access certain parts of the Discovery Sites and to enable you to post messages on any message boards or in any chat rooms on the Discovery Sites.
As set out below in more detail, your information may sometimes be used by us and our associated companies and trusted third parties (who may be located outside Australia and/or New Zealand) to inform you about changes to the Discovery Sites, new services and offers that you might find interesting. By using the Discovery Sites you agree to our use of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
What and How Do We Collect Information about you and How Is It Used?
We may collect and use your information in the following ways. In general, when you submit information, we will ask for your explicit consent to use your information in these ways:
- If you send us information, we may ask you to enter your name, age, e-mail address and/or postal address. If the information you send us is to be posted on the Discovery Sites, you can elect not to have your name and/or e-mail address displayed alongside your posting.
- When you order a service or product from us, you may need to input your name, age, e-mail address and/or postal or other delivery address. Sometimes we may ask for your telephone number. We might also ask for your credit or debit card details if you purchase products or other services from the Discovery Sites. These details may also be given to organisers or providers of products or services that you have requested for the purposes of providing you with further information or with those products or services and fulfilling any orders.
- If you enter a contest or promotion we may ask for your name, age, address and e-mail address. This is so we (or any relevant third party) can administer the contest or promotion and to notify the winners.
- We will collect information about your tastes and preferences both when you tell us what these are and by analysis of customer traffic, including by using cookies (see below).
- We may use information collected about you to personalise your visits to the Discovery Sites and recommend goods or services to you. We also use the information to help us develop the design and layout of our web-sites to ensure that they are as useful and enjoyable as possible.
- We may use the information we collect, with your consent, to contact you from time to time by post, email, telephone and/or SMS to inform you about functionality changes to our web-sites, new goods, services or offers and other information that you may find interesting.
- You consent that we, or third parties on our behalf, might also use your personal information to conduct market research.
- In addition, we may provide aggregate statistics about customers, traffic patterns and other site information to third parties, but these statistics will not include any information that could personally identify you.
- We do not wish to collect personal information about you that is 'sensitive information' under the Australian Piracy Act 1988 (the 'Piracy Act') [being information or an opinion about your health, sexual preferences, religious beliefs and other such private information.]
Additionally we reserve the right to access and disclose your personal information to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests, law enforcement agencies or other parties whose requests we reasonably consider to be justified in connection with any allegations about your mis-use of our services, to operate our systems properly or to protect ourselves or our users.
Will We Disclose the Information We Collect to Third Parties?
We may transfer your personal information to trustworthy third parties located both in and outside Australia and New Zealand so that they can also send you information, offers or other material that you may find interesting. We request that such third parties act in accordance with our commitments under this policy. If you consider that a third party has used your personal information contrary to the terms of this policy or you prefer that we do not supply your personal information to these third parties you may instruct us not to do so at any time by sending an e-mail message to Marketing_DNAP@discovery.com .
In the event that we sell or otherwise dispose of some or all of our business to another party, we reserve the right to transfer your information as part of any assets sold or disposed of.
How Do We Protect Your Information?
When you review your information, we offer the use of a secure server. The secure server software encrypts the information that you input before it is transmitted to us. In addition, we have security procedures covering the storage and disclosure of your information in order to prevent unauthorised access and to comply with the Privacy Act. This means that sometimes we may ask for proof of your identity before we disclose personal information to you.
A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive by your web browser. On revisiting a Discovery Site our computer server will recognise the cookie, giving us information about your last visit. Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance (see the "Help" toolbar). If you choose not to receive cookies, you may still use most of the features of the Discovery Sites.
How Do I Un-subscribe or Amend my Personal Information?
You can amend or delete from our databases the information that you have given via the Discovery Sites at any time. If you do not wish to receive any particular information, or if you would like to amend the personal information that we hold about you, please send an e-mail Marketing_DNAP@discovery.com .
We may also use a "Personal Profile Page", which enables you to update your personal information at any time and/or request that we delete your information from our records. This allows us to maintain accurate and up-to-date personal data about you.
We will try to inform you if there are any changes to this policy that materially affect how we use your information. However, we encourage users to be responsible about their privacy and to check this policy from time to time and to update their preferences.
Chat Rooms, Forums and other Materials Posted by You
You should remember that all information that is disclosed in the chat rooms, forums and/or other public-posting areas on the Discovery Sites becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to share any of your personal information. If you post any sensitive personal information you are expressly consenting to our processing and use of such data in connection with our operation of the relevant Discovery Site.
All persons under the age of 18 must obtain the consent of their parents or legal guardians before using the Discovery Site. We will adhere to this policy in respect of any personal information submitted by minors, but the primary responsibility rests on parents and guardians to properly supervise their children's use of the Discovery Site.
Customer Feedback and Complaints
We welcome your questions and comments about privacy issues and the design of our web-site. Should you have such comments or have a complaint about how we are using your personal information, please e-mail us at Marketing_DNAP@discovery.com.