Boat Noodle Recipe (Kuay Tiaw Reua)
*All pork ingredients can be substituted with beef
- 4-5 litres water
- 2kg pork bones
- 200g daikon (cut into chunks)
- 10 coriander roots
- 1 bulb garlic
- 50g blue ginger
- 2 pandan leaves
- 2 stalk lemon grass
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 50g rock sugar
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn
- 3 sticks cinnamon (about 5cm length)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 300g thin, flat rice noodles
- 200g pork balls
- 200g sliced pork (marinated in ½ tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp light soy sauce)
- 100g sliced pork liver (optional)
- 200g kang kong / water convolvulus
- 2 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup pig’s blood
- Fried garlic and garlic oil
- Fried pork skin (optional)
- 6 bird’s eye chilli pickled in 100 ml vinegar
- Stock pot (7-8 litres)
- 2 x soup pot
- Stove x 2 (one for stock. One for noodle)
- Noodle net
- Chop sticks
- Metal ladle
- Herb Bag
- Knife and chopping board
- Bowls and small dish
- Boat noodle bowls
- Boil 3-4 litres water, add 2kg pork bones to pot. Make sure meat and bone are covered by water add more if needed.
- Bring to boil and let it simmer for 1 hour and remove surface impurities
- Add the remaining ingredients and herb bag and let it simmer for another 2 hours.
- Add marinated sliced pork (4 to 5 slices),
- Add ½ tbp sugar, 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp light soy sauce. Mix well and let it marinate.
- Heat 2 cup porks both in a small pot.
- Add pork balls (4 to 5 pieces), slice pork (few slices) and 2 tbsp pork liver to broth, once they are cook stir in 2 tbsp pig’s blood. Bring to boil.
- Blanch 75g rice noodles, with some ½ cup bean sprouts and a handful of water convolvulus for 10-15 seconds drain and transfer to serving bowl.
- Add 1 tsp fish sauce and 1 tsp garlic oil to serving bowl.
- Drain and add noodle to bowl.
- Add pork broth and toppings to noodles.
- Add garnish with coriander leaves, fried garlic and chili vinegar (6 bird’s eye chili pickled in 100 ml vinegar)