- 1kg beef shank
- 1kg oxtail (cut into chunks)
- 2kg beef bones
- 5 litres water
- 5 stalks lemongrass
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- ½ cup minced lemongrass
- 2 tbsp chilli powedr
- 2 tbsp chilli flakes
Additional ingredients for soup:
- 1 serving bun bo hue noodles
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste)
- 3 tbsp vietnamese shrimp paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 bun bo hue seasoning cubes
- 1 onion (sliced and soaked in cold water)
- 2 cups bean Sprout
- 2 cups Coriander
- Blanch 1kg beef shanks, 1kg oxtail (cut into chunks), 2kg beef bones for 10 minutes, drain and transfer beef parts to another pot.
- Add water to blanched beef parts and add 5 stalks lemongrass (smashed), 1 yellow onion (cut into quarters), 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp rock sugar. Cook for 1 hour.
- In a pan heat 4 tbsp oil, then add ¼ cup minced garlic, ¼ cup minced shallots and ½ cup minced lemongrass. Sauté until fragrant and add 2 tbsp chilli powder and 2 tbsp chilli flakes (adjust to preference), and sauté until fragrant. This is the sate.
- Add 2/3 of the sate to the soup and mix well.
- After 1 hour remove beef shanks and soak in ice water. Once cooled down cut into thin slices. Then remove oxtail chunks.
- Optional to add 2 bun bo hue seasoning cubes to soup for extra flavoring
- In another pot heat 3 cups of water and add Vietnamese shrimp paste and bring to boil. Turn heat off and let shrimp paste settle to the bottom add only the clean water on the top to the main broth.
- Slice 1 onion and soak in ice water to keep it crispy
- Blanch 1 serving of bun bo Hue noodles following the packet’s instructions, drain and add to serving bowl
- To the serving bowl, add beef shank slices, oxtail chunks, some sliced onions, beansprout, coriander and pour soup over noodles, add.
- Optional to serve with sate, vegetables, herbs and lime wedges on the side.